Sunday, January 13, 2013

Bonfires!

Whoah!  Where has the time gone?!?  It is now 2013, Year of the Snake, or, Hebidoshi (in Japanese).


Happy New Year!!!



Plenty has happened since my folks left, and I really hope to backlog that AND my parents visit.  I am making it a rainy day priority!  But, for now, I will just catch you up on today...

Here in Japan, they make these HUGE bonfires with the various New Years decorations and good luck charms (so that bad luck is not brought on to them for keeping them - we apparently are doomed!).  There were some flyers that said the Kurihama bonfire was happening at 10:30 today.  Knowing the stack is a near explosive pile of tinder and it does not last long, we got there early.  10:00 right on the nose.  The Japanese are always right on time...  this was at 10:03


Maybe the flyer meant it would be OVER at 10:30?


Below is the bonfire just down the beach.  Eric was talking with a man that told him it was an entirely different community down there.  NOT Kurihama...  I had taken a stroll down there while he was chit-chatting as I was looking for the wanderer...




Yes.  It was definitely a different community.  It is the first time I have felt out of place while we have been in Japan.  I know we ARE out of place, but I have never gotten the "vibe" that I was in the wrong place.  Well, I did here...  We wondered if it had anything to do with it being near the prison (built on the waterfront, btw...)

While I was gone, the Prodigal Son had returned...


In the meantime, we had partaken of the customary Oshiruko (お汁粉), or Red Bean Soup.




Oshiruko is a traditional soup made of azuki beans (sweet red beans) mashed with sugar and blocks of gooey mochi.  "Gross" you say?  Nope!  Super tasty AND it is said that it will ward off any colds for the next year.  I am counting on it!

They were serving tea cups full of sake.  By the time Eric and/or I warmed to the idea of having one, they had stopped serving it.  Next time I will just take one, regardless!

Strings of pink and white mochi were hanging between bamboo poles.  Once the fire was smoldering, the lines were draped over and the mochi toasted (like a marshmallow).  It was then eaten, although I do not know its significance.  Health/wealth/luck/prosperity no doubt!




The mochi symbolized happiness (red/pink) and purity (white).



Dougie missed out on the Oshiruko (and was none too happy about it - had a good cry over it!  Lesson learned?!?).  Somehow Stefan acquired some of the toasted mochi (dropped in the sand?!?) and 
and he generously (???) gave it to Dougie.  It was a little ashy...





Douglas tossed to the "Ocean Gods".  Even they rejected it - notice it washed up on the shore?!?


The fire got picked through, items not fully burned were prodded, pine boughs were added to the top where the needles sizzled, popped and singed off.  The "sticks" were then sent home with people (aka: Stefan - the Raven of children).  We have no idea what the significance was, but it clearly has some meaning.  Ultimately, his got "left" at the train station as I had to remind him to "watch the tip/don't poke anyone in the eye!" just once too many...


Kite flying is a tradition at the New Year.  We have to regularly remind Stefan that he cannot just go and ask people if he can fly their kites...


Perhaps Eric needed a reminder too?!?

People also fish.  All the time.  Anywhere.  With these ginormous rods.  It kind of makes you want to throw a line out too...



Maybe it is just an excuse to sit down.  And smoke...


Ian was checking out the collection of little rowboats - and basically thought the rope was just the most hilarious thing that he had come across.  I am just now noticing he is no longer carrying the bag of treats a man had given him earlier.  I sure hope some other kid nabbed it and is enjoying it!



We took advantage of being in Kurihama and went to one of our favorite Ramen haunts.


The shop has two tables in addition to their counter.  The tables (cable spool reels - Mom, just like our kitchen table, only shorter!!!) are on the sidewalk.  The shop "expands" by hanging heavy clear plastic down from their awning and putting in space heaters!  It more than doubles their seating...


I ordered two gyoza and two Miso Ramens -  upgrading one to a large (to split amongst the boys).  This is all done in Nihongo (Japanese) - in Kanji - on a ticket machine.  I thought I was really something else.  And then...  TWO of these mixing bowl sized ramens came to the table.  HUGE!!!  I think the lady really thought I was indeed "something" and just gave us two larges figuring I had no idea what I was doing (true).  We did not finish either one, but we sure did enjoy the ramen after a good bonfire!

No comments:

Post a Comment