Monday, October 1, 2012

Typhoon Jelawat Emergency Preparedness

What does one do before a typhoon?

Well, you eat a great meal for starters.  We ate some tasty rice noodles that Dougie brought back from his camping trip with Seika.  I was told they were delicious with pumpkin...  So we (Eric) stir-fried up some kabocha and ginger pork.  He paired it with a great brew (thank you Dwayne!) from Wisconsin - clearly purchased for its label!


Then we got a good night's sleep.  And awoke to some fresh coffee.  Thanks to some fabulous friends, I now have a dedicated coffee pot (thank you Gina for the bigger one that Eric has tagged) and some divine decaf coffee!  My life-long friend, Leah, takes pity on me and my decaf-coffee habit (she shares this addiction) and sends me amazing decaf coffees from great local roasters around the Puget Sound area.  I love the coffee and I love it even more that I think of Leah with every brew!


Then we went to base.  Passed some road maintenance and discovered how they run the services, etc. through the streets here:


They put the road right over a H-beams and just pull them out as necessary!  I have gone by a ton of road digging, but just assumed (wrongly) that the metal plates over the H-beams were temporary.  I had always wondered how they got the road paved so fast having just had all these huge plates installed (and removed?)...  They pave over them, of course!  Yes, I am slow to discover...

We went to the NEX to add to our Typhoon Jelawat Emergency Preparedness Kit supplies: wine, beer, chocolate chips (for brownies), cheese and batteries - for the monster.  A long, lost friend was re-awoken.  Much squealing occurred...


We went to the library to rent movies and check out some books.  Can you see the amazing sunshine (note the shadows and squinting) and the dark clouds in the background?


Base was deserted.  Except for the commissary.  People actually went to buy flashlights/batteries, water and canned goods ;)

Then, we invited our neighbors over!



No comments:

Post a Comment