Saturday, November 3, 2012

Black Ramen


I NEVER look at the paper.  OK, correction.  I RARELY look at the paper.  The day before Eric got home, I spotted a write up on a bicycle expo that was coming to Tokyo.  I snagged the paper!

Caroline knows I do not read the paper, although she gave me the benefit of the doubt (kindness!) - she called me to let me know about it!  Great friend!!!

As good fortune would have it - I was able to book appointments for Stefan & Dougie to renew their passports on the day of the expo.  I did not have to even tell Eric about the expo.  Fun surprise!  More on that later...

We stayed at Hardy Barracks the night before the kids' appointments/the expo (Thursday night).  Right across the street is a ramen shop where their specialty is Black Ramen.  五行 (Gogyou in Roppongi)


We ordered some appetizers


Cucumbers marinated in oil, sea salt & garlic, garnished with saffron threads


Gyoza with a smudge of something spicy on the dipping sauce bowl - definitely ginger and...?


We ordered beer - Ian eyed the amber-colored elixir of happiness (plagiarized from Christine - thank you!)


We got their specialties: Burnt Miso Ramen


and Burnt Shoyu Ramen


The boys devoured it


 And went back for seconds...


Bibs were on the table next to the napkins.  That alone would make me come back!

The chef cooks the add-ins


and then burns the Miso/Shoyu just before serving.  Ian would let us know each time there was a fire!


As one friend put it, this is the ONLY ramen she misses since leaving Japan.  I will be in full agreement.

The kids all shared the same bed, happy and full.


Two fell instantly asleep.  One stayed awake chatting for waaaaaaay too long...


Later that night/morning, Ian was crying and rolling over (or attempting to).  He kept putting his head on Dougie's hip.  He cried some more in frustration, "I trying to roll over!"

So, Dougie got to sleep with us ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment