Thursday, March 22, 2012

Magical Thinking

When someone says to you, "that is Magical Thinking" it is not a compliment.  It is synonymous to, "In your dreams," "Yeah, Right" or "What are your smoking?!?"

But, if you are a kid...  Well, there are few greater compliments!

On our interesting ride home last night, I was stuck in a traffic jam.  The boys were chirping away in their backseat.  I resisted the temptation to surf the internet, get my e-mail or check Facebook...

Jack Johnson was playing on the stereo.  Perhaps something about a...

Stefan: What is a Gypsy Boy?
Me: A gypsy is... someone who does not like to stay in one place for very long.  They ilke to wander - and you do not need to be a boy.
Stefan: As a Gypsy Boy, I would want to go... Where would you go Mom?
Me: Uh... 

Then I heard some cogent thoughts coming front the back seat as they were discussing their AWANA lessons.  Stefan is on a missionary unit and one of the questions was, "were would you go?" Relevant to the Gypsy Boy lyrics...

Stefan: where would you go, Mum?
Me: Where would YOU like to go (how much geography does he actually know?!?)
Stefan: Egypt!  What do you think of that?!? It is in the Bible!  So, do Egyptians believe in God?!?
Dougie: If you wanted to to go to Egypt, you would have to go to Pennsylvania first, find the tree house (the MAGIC tree house!), find the book and then read it.  And your wish will come true!
Stefan: OR... you could just book a flight to Pennsylvania...
Dougie: What does "book a flight" mean?

Then, we passed the accident that was holding us up.  The car took up 1.5 out of the two lanes.  It was on its' side, backwards, nose to traffic, did I mention completely sideways?

I was the total Lookie-Lou...  None of the boys noticed anything was out of the ordinary...  did I say it was completely on its' side.... figures...

Stefan: Booking a flight is like... making a reservation.  Kudos kiddo - you are so planning the next trip! :)
Dougie: Naw.  Just get to Pennsylvania and go find the tree...

Ahhhh... Magical Thinking!

2 comments:

  1. Hallie, I have to tell you once again, how much I enjoy following your sweet family. Knowing that I will most likely never make it to Japan in my lifetime, you are giving me a wonderful window into that part of the world made even sweeter through you and your boys eyes... Thank you for sharing! Hugs, Melia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Melia! Such a privilege to have you (anyone, for that matter!) reading this! I miss you all :)

    ReplyDelete